Serving: Broome and Tioga Counties
Broome County Health Department Vision:
Broome County will be distinguished as a community that maximizes the opportunity for all people to take responsibility for their own well-being and achieve their optimal quality of life. The health of the community will also be enhanced by a community wide partnership of organizations that will assess, prioritize, and take action on initiatives to improve specific public health indicators and measures of community health status.
The Broome County Health Department has partnered with local businesses, school districts, healthcare organizations, and the Tioga County Health Department for work on the Community Cancer Prevention in Action Grant. The main focus areas of the grant are to: educate the public, especially youth, about the dangers of UV exposure; work with local employers to allow and promote paid time off for cancer screenings for their employees; and promote the HPV vaccination and education surrounding the HPV virus and the cancers it can cause.
Entities Adopting Sun Safety Policies
- Abide in the Vine Childcare Center
- Broome County Council of Churches
- Broome County Parks and Recreation Department
- Broome County YMCA
- Broome County YWCA
- Binghamton Community Schools at Harpursville
- Binghamton Community Schools at Whitney Point
- City of Binghamton Parks and Recreation
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- K&N Ellis Childcare (Lourdes)
- Prevention Coalition of Broome County
- Ross Park Zoo
- Scott Smith & Son
- Tot’s Learning Center
- Town of Berkshire
- Turf Grow
- Village of Deposit
In the News
- Broome County Health Department receives million dollar grant to fight cancer – 10/30/18 Binghamton Homepage
- Broome/Tioga Get $1 For Cancer Prevention – 10/31/18 WNBF
- How Broome, Tioga Counties will use new $1.1 million cancer prevention grant – 10/30/18 WBNG
- Parks Open across Broome County kicking off the Summer season – 5/21/19 Binghamton Homepage
- Have a fun and safe summer with these sun protection tips – 7/7/19 Press & Sun Bulletin
- Someone You Love Screening at Binghamton University -9/23/19 Fox 40 Wicz
- Farmer’s Market Event – 9/22/19 WBNG
- Dr. DeGuardi’s HPV Vaccine LTE– 11/21/19 Press and Sun Bulletin
- Cervical Cancer Awareness Month– Published on 1/21/20 Press and Sun Bulletin
- Cervical Cancer Awareness Month – 1/22/20 Binghamton Homepage
- Heather Foley’s Indoor Tanning LTE– 1/26/20 Press and Sun Bulletin
- Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month- Broome Goes Blue! – 3/4/20 Binghamton Homepage
Take a look at some environmental changes our partners made!
Come talk to us at these events:
Due to COVID-19 concerns and restrictions, Broome County Health Department and Tioga County Health Department will be limiting the amount of events we will be attending.
Thank you for your patience and continuous support during this time.