Serving: Broome and Tioga Counties
Broome County Health Department Vision:
Broome County will be distinguished as a community that maximizes the opportunity for all people to take responsibility for their own well-being and achieve their optimal quality of life. The health of the community will also be enhanced by a community wide partnership of organizations that will assess, prioritize, and take action on initiatives to improve specific public health indicators and measures of community health status.
The Broome County Health Department has partnered with local businesses, school districts, healthcare organizations, and the Tioga County Health Department for work on the Community Cancer Prevention in Action Grant. The main focus areas of the grant are to: educate the public, especially youth, about the dangers of UV exposure; work with local employers to allow and promote paid time off for cancer screenings for their employees; and promote the HPV vaccination and education surrounding the HPV virus and the cancers it can cause.
Kristin Russell, Public Health Educator
Kristin has worked with the Broome County Health Department on the CPiA project for 2 years. She has worked with CPiA partners in Broome to adopt and implement sun safety and PTO policies. She helps to provide the community with free education sessions on CPiA initiatives in Broome County. In her spare time, Kristin and her daughter are found in the garden with wide brimmed hats and picking fresh veggies for dinner.
To reach out to our Broome team, you can contact Kristin at: 607-778-2841 or Kristin.Russell@BroomeCounty.us
Laura Bennett, Public Health Educator
Laura has worked at the Tioga County Public Health Department as a Health Educator and Tioga Cancer Prevention in Action Coordinator for two years. She works with local childcare centers, outdoor worksites, and parks to adopt sun safety policies. Laura also provides community education on sun safety, HPV vaccine, and the importance of cancer screenings in Tioga County. Fun fact- Laura has over 30 chickens, and they all have names!
To partner with Laura on CPiA initiatives in Broome County, you can reach her at: 607-687-8619 or Bennettl@tiogacountyny.gov
Entities Adopting Sun Safety Policies
- Abide in the Vine Childcare Center
- Broome County Council of Churches
- Broome County Parks and Recreation Department
- Broome County YMCA
- Broome County YWCA
- Binghamton Community Schools at Harpursville
- Binghamton Community Schools at Whitney Point
- City of Binghamton Parks and Recreation
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- K&N Ellis Childcare (Lourdes)
- Prevention Coalition of Broome County
- Path of Life Camp
- Ross Park Zoo
- Scott Smith & Son
- Tot’s Learning Center
- Town of Berkshire
- Turf Grow
- Village of Deposit
In the News
- Broome County Health Department receives million dollar grant to fight cancer – 10/30/18 Binghamton Homepage
- Broome/Tioga Get $1 For Cancer Prevention – 10/31/18 WNBF
- How Broome, Tioga Counties will use new $1.1 million cancer prevention grant – 10/30/18 WBNG
- Parks Open across Broome County kicking off the Summer season – 5/21/19 Binghamton Homepage
- Have a fun and safe summer with these sun protection tips – 7/7/19 Press & Sun Bulletin
- Someone You Love Screening at Binghamton University -9/23/19 Fox 40 Wicz
- Farmer’s Market Event – 9/22/19 WBNG
- Dr. DeGuardi’s HPV Vaccine LTE– 11/21/19 Press and Sun Bulletin
- Cervical Cancer Awareness Month– Published on 1/21/20 Press and Sun Bulletin
- Cervical Cancer Awareness Month – 1/22/20 Binghamton Homepage
- Heather Foley’s Indoor Tanning LTE– 1/26/20 Press and Sun Bulletin
- Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month- Broome Goes Blue! – 3/4/20 Binghamton Homepage
Take a look at some environmental changes our partners made!
Cancer Prevention in Action adheres to all recommended and mandated safety guidelines as disclosed from the CDC, federal, state and local government to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Come talk to us at these events:
As the environment evolves and events begin to happen again, Broome and Tioga County CPiA teams will be back into the community soon. Please continue to check this website for updates.
Thank you for your patience and continuous support during this time.
Broome and Tioga County CPiA teams offer FREE educational sessions virtually or now in person!
- Sun safety education for children
- Sun safety education for outdoor worksites
- Sun safety education for childcare staff
- Sun safety for outdoor recreation
- Education on the HPV vaccine for Dental providers
- Education on the HPV vaccine for Medical providers
- Education on the HPV vaccine for the community
- Education on opportunities for your agency to adopt a PTO policy
- Education for staff about newly implemented policy
Don’t see what you are specifically looking for? Interested in any of these education sessions?
Contact our team members in the About Us tab above!